Sunday, 8 April 2012

FRUGALDOM

Greetings,
I hope you are all enjoying this Easter Sunday.

I've been thinking about what brings us to 'Frugaldom' ?
Were you born frugal
Did you achieve frugalness
or did you have frugalness thrust upon you ?


I started out life like most people I think not really knowing how to save or stretch money.  I had a budget to live on, and cut my cloth accordingly.  It didn't occur to me that I could cut my weekly/monthly outgoings by using some neat little frugal tricks.

Fast forward many (many) years, and how one's ideas change ! initially through necessity, but now, at this point, I do it because I love it, it is a challenge and it brings a really nice 'glow' knowing that life can be lived to a higher standard even  when spending less money.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a huge bank balance or bursting purse - far from it., but it is because I choose to live the way I do,  and save a little each week, that I know I can pay my bills when they drop through the letter box.

My adventure into Frugaldom began when I found myself a divorced woman with three children to raise alone, a scary thought.  I'm sure anyone out there  who has been in a similar situation will agree with me.
On benefits, in a strange town, not enough money to go around, let alone furnish a new house and feed and clothe the children.  Bills always rained in.


You learn valuable life lessons when you are in a position like this.  Being frugal enabled me to give my children a reasonable standard of living, they didn't go without anything, least of all food.  I won't pretend it was easy, it wasn't, but it was doable.

Fast forward again, three children, grown, left the nest, all own their own houses, two of them have their own businesses, I have 8 grandchildren !

All my kids know the value of money, and are healthy and strong for which I am eternally grateful.

I now find myself in a similar situation, no children to raise though, but I lost my previous life and am starting over, but the life lessons I have learned will stand me in good stead for the future.

I have a dream, I've lived the dream once, but it's still there waiting for me to reclaim it, and I will get back the life I love.





So what brought you to frugaldom ?  necessity or choice ?  are you struggling to get out of debt ?  planning for the future or just trying to make ends meet ?  I'll be interested to know.

Take care peeps ..........

4 comments:

  1. You mention how difficult it was trying to feed three children when there was only one 'bread-winner'. I can't speak from experience (except me & 4 cats!), but I once knew a divorced friend with three children who struggled on with 'mince' most days, and chicken on Sundays with jelly for pud! Of course there was 'cluck cluck' (as the children called it) on Monday and Tuesday as well.
    I had my frugality forced upon me I suppose.
    I first drew breath during WW2 and during those times nothing was wasted. There isn't space here J. to tell you all about it, but now as a pensioner, my early 'training' in 'make-do and mend' is still with me.
    Cheers....B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Bernard above, I was born in 1944 so it was sort of bred in me. I had a similar experience of lifestyle & with divorce I am also in a tiny box on a housing estate with a similar wish, but I keep changing my mind where I want to end up! I only had one child though who is now grown up and eventually marrying at the end of June so it wasn't really a struggle with one, although I was very careful. My husband has had business and health problems for years so just try to keep up the good work!

    I have just found your blog and added it to my Favourites. Another one I can look forward to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello - just catching up on my blogging - yes I come from a similar era where the saying was waste not and want not - my Grandma ran a sheep farm on the Longmynd in Shropshire - and she was very frugal - I spent many hours with her in the early fifties and I think picked up a lot of valuable tips that have stayed with me through my life - I am adding you to my blog list - Bye for now

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a 1944 baby too - perhaps we should start a club ?
    Campfire - thank you for visiting, hope you drop by again.
    Thank you Jane for adding me to your list. The Long Mynd - isn't it just beautiful up there ?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...