Saturday, 7 April 2012

RAGS  (but no riches)

Greetings ...........

I love all kinds of craftwork, but favourites are fabric and yarn stuff.
Today, I thought I'd show you some of the bits and pieces I make from recycled fabrics, which are turned into rag rugs, place mats, seat covers, etc.,


When I downsized here, I brought with me a beautiful antique dining table because I couldn't bear to part with it, this house only has a kitchen/diner to eat in, so the only place for the table is the conservatory.  This presents the problem of fading due to bright sunlight, so I decided to make a 'table protector'.

Above, you can see the start of it, I sourced as much brown/cream/beige fabrics as I could and started , the strips are cut about 1" wide for this project and a huge hook is used - see picture - this produces a lovely thick piece that will protect the table top from sunlight and hot dishes



Here is the finished result.  I like it.  I also made a matching floor rug and some smaller pieces for the cats.  This cover could be used as a rug as well.

I had some fabrics in shades of pinks/white/florals, so I made some kitchen seat pads, placemats and tie backs to match.  It really is surprising how much fabric goes into this sort of thing.



Complete with compulsory cat - this is Rasputin - the Cat from Hell - otherwise known as 'Thug'

And if you haven't had enough yet, here are some cat beds I make and sell.  



Below you see Itty (the Kitty) who is in charge of quality control - it's a tough job but someone has to do it.  Itty makes sure nothing goes out until it has passed his stringent and rigorous tests.



Well that's it for today, I was going to a boot sale but it looks like it will be rained off, unless some intrepid die-hard sellers may have turned up.  It's not far, think I'll just go and see anyway.

Take care peeps ................................................

PS - thank you to those who have left comments - it doesn't feel so lonely in Blogland now.




.

4 comments:

  1. hi wean, thanks for your lovely comment on my dream page you made me smile :)

    Im sad for you that you had to leave the countryside but it sounds like your making the most of it in town anyway!

    I love that scrap fabric crocheting? knitting? you do its brilliant, maybe one day you could do a tutorial for me? Id love to see how you do it :)

    take care and keep blogging, you'll build up a network in no time x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this - I wish I was so creative with rags! WS xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Cheapchick and welcome - and thank you for becoming follower number 6 - woo hoo !
    I'm glad you like the cat beds, I'm thinking of opening an Etsy shop to sell some, but there's just too much for me to do at the moment, I have to get some stock made.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...