Friday, 13 April 2012

Recycled sweater - 3 Ways

Thank you  Bernard for helping with  layout problems. More to do yet but I'm working on it.

You are a star !


I thought you may be interested in seeing how I recycled a sweater recently into three useful items to keep out the cold.  I usually knit my own sweaters, but if I see something going for a song at a boot sale I will buy it.  The sweater I have used was new, and felted, always a good sign because you can cut into it anyway you like and it won't 'run'.  It cost 50p by the way.

I foolishly forgot to photograph it before I cut it up, but you will see what it was like in a previous life from the photographs.


It was actually longer than this, but the hem edge was wavy and I couldn't think of anything to do with the piece I cut off, but as it was wool, it wasn't wasted, I cut it up and put it in the compost bin. Waste not want not !

First thing I did was to cut off the sleeves around the armholes, neaten them off and pick up the stitches to knit a 'welt' - these became legwarmers !!  the 'splayed out' hem of the sleeves make them perfect to wear under jeans/over trainers, you can just see them in wear - I like them.


You can see they're not exactly the same length but it doesn't matter because they're not meant to be seen.

Next I took the body of the sweater, tidied up around the neck edges and the bottom, picked up the stitches and knit borders and bottom welt - this became a tank top !  to be worn underneath another sweater for extra warmth.



Finally, I cut off the collar, which didn't need anything doing to it at all because it was overlocked to the sweater and I cut carefully below the overlocking and this became - a cowl collar !!


This looks very nice tucked into the neck of a coat or even another sweater.  I'm really pleased with this bit of recycling.  You don't have to use the same coloured wool either, as you can see, I used scraps from my odd ball bag, I used double knit yarn with UK size 10 needles.  This is a project that you can make in  the summer months ready for next winter.  I will certainly be making a few more sets.

1 comment:

  1. You're most welcome to any wee bit of help that I can give. :)
    I don't know anything about wooly- pullies, but if you are going up Long Mynd, and around Carding Mill, then
    trecycled 'Cardies' are just the thing. :)
    I once pushed my bike up LM and spent the night in the YHA hostel. Boy, was is nippy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...