Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Emergency supplies

Greetings,

I watched a late film the other night called 'The Road', I missed the first 5 minutes, so didn't really know why the man and his son were travelling this 'road' obviously some sort of disaster, could have been natural or war/bomb etc., it looked like a nuclear winter anyway.

Hardly any survivors, cannibalism was rife, it was permanently dark and thoroughly unpleasant.

Anyway, it was basically how they coped and fed themselves (not very well)  until they stumbled upon an underground emergency bunker/store.

Obviously, they pigged out as you would, there was everything in there to keep body and soul together including candles and matches, a generator for light, walls lined with tins and packets of every kind, even a camping stove to cook on.

Sadly, the owners of this underground store didn't survive to take advantage of all their planning (probably been eaten by some other survivors !)

So, this got me thinking, what would you put in such a store ? how much ? what sort of provisions to sustain life for a period of time.  Apart from the obvious tins and dried food, water purification tablets, bottled water, salt, dried milk and a zillion other things, what would 'you' put in there and why and where would you keep it ?  We don't all have enough land to dig out a huge underground store, what if you live in a flat, or have a miniscule garden on a modern housing estate ?

This sort of thing is very big in America apparantly, perhaps they know something we don't ? there are many 'survival sites' which make very good reading (if not a little depressing).

So over to you then,  think I'll start mine off with cat food ..........

take care peeps,

6 comments:

  1. I have to admit to not being into any of the 'disaster theories', but I do have a store. I'm retired, live almost alone (me and one cat), and it did occur to me that if I was ill or even broke a bone and couldn't get out to shop - how would I manage? All family are up in your neck of the woods actually. So I, in my pantry (walk in larder) have enough for 5/6 weeks. (including cat food). There isn't space here for me to go through everything but it is mainly tinned food and pasta,dried fruits,cereals and long-life milk. (and loads of loo rolls!) It has actually been very useful as when I was snowed up during the Winter I used it for ten days. A test run.
    Food supplies in this country run on a 'just-in-time' basis. Supermarkets do not have huge stocks/warehouses and with disruption (fuel strikes) the shelves would soon be empty. So it does no harm to 'be prepared' (as the boy scout said to the girl guide!)
    The other thing I do have is cash.
    People rely so much on 'plastic' and ATM's, but I was in Tesco's a while back and all their card readers stopped working due to some software problem.
    I was one of the few who had £70 quid in cash in my wallet to pay and get out. As I said before, loo rolls a must and don't forget any medication if you take it.
    Cheers....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points Bernard.
    I too deal only with cash and sometimes I'm made to feel like I'm from another planet ! how dare I not use a card ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Road (from the novel by Cormac McCarthy) is a truly frightening tale. I have a few things on hand but dont stockpile or hoard very much. If we were in that situation we would be killed pretty quickly for what we had.
    There always have been "survivalists" here in the States - does nt mean the world is coming to an end , just another of the myriad of lifestyles in this huge country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the info Lizzie, I had no idea who wrote it, I will now try to search the novel out possibly from amazon ?
    It is a harrowing 'view' - considering lack of special effects, bad language and full frontal nudity - ugh ! which seems to be a pre-requisite of most films these days, it had me on the edge of my seat - or rather sofa -
    I stock up as much as finances will allow, now, as the season progesses I'll be foraging for free food and freezing it.
    I think it is a good idea to have a stockpile in case of unforeseen emergences i.e. power cuts (outages?) being cut off by bad weather etc., not to mention times when cash is short, but 'the end of the world' is a whole new subject ! best left alone I think.
    thank you for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you enjoyed that type of film I highly recommend The Way Home. A brilliant uplifting survival based on a true story film. Another one is Into The Wild about a guy who gave up all his savings and hitched hiked to Alaska to live off the land. AMAZING film!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little Rosie - Thank you for that, I will look out for it.
    I usually just read autobiographies, craft/gardening sort of books, but The Road fascinated me, and instead of going to the car boot sale this weekend, I bought the book from Amazon - I will be reading it in bed scaring myself to death no doubt !
    I will look out for 'The Way Home' too, regards

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...