Sunday, 20 May 2012

When Buster met Bertha .......

Greetings,

I made a lovely veggie stew yesterday in the slow cooker aka 'Buster'

You all know what chopped vegetables look like so I won't bore you with pictures.  I put in carrots, swede, parsnip, onions and potato's and the last of my lovely curly kale fresh from the garden, these are the raw ingredients.  I threw in some herbs, seasonings, a good glug of balsamic vinegar and left it to it's own devices.

Later during cooking I will add tins of beans, here I have butter beans and red beans, I meant to put in chick peas but didn't have any, you can chuck any kind of beans in for extra protein, black eyed beans, bortolli beans, baked beans, has beens ..... !  - that's the beauty of this type of cooking anything goes !  I would have added a tin of tomatos as well, but was out of those too, so a good dollop of tomato sauce did the job just as well, about a quarter of a bottle.



Finished result - looks yummy.  Tomorrow I will add some other stuff and probably dumplings.  I will have two days meals from this and freeze the rest in indvidual plastic boxes i.e. margarine tubs or similar.



Now Buster was showing signs of being lonely lately, and as I wanted to cook desserts/cakes in the slow cooker at the same time, I put out a 'wanted' post on Freecycle and tadah ..... meet 'Bertha'



It was definately love at first sight !  there's  a budding romance going on now in my kitchen, they compliment each other perfectly and I think they'll get along just fine don't you ?

Thank you Freecycle.

take care peeps ...............

7 comments:

  1. I love my slow cooker and wouldn't be without it especially during the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had three slow cookers but just gave one away. I just like having two for family meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I can only come in second to Cheapchick with 3!
    I equal you with two. :)
    I still have my old faithful SloCook crock pot from years ago. Still going strong. I bought a new larger cooker some years back because I wanted to cook a whole chicken. It works ok, but does not look like a cooked chicken. All pale and unappetising. :(
    Like you, I still use them both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as always, you make me chuckle with your way with words.

      Delete
  5. Sorry, I can't re-do my last comment on a previous post, once I press publish it's gone, out of my head, forgotten. I have to be selective over what I remember, my brain is full up :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also lost several comments after using this new-fangled word verification thingie. What I do now is 'highlight' my comment and click 'copy'.
      This saves it and if the posting fails you can simply do a 'paste' to try again.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...