Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Who is that Woman ?

Greetings,

We all age, there's no escaping it.  Some can handle it, others can't.  I'm somewhere in the middle.

I don't have many mirrors in my house, they scare me !  or rather the reflection does.  I'm not in the slightest bit vain, but most days I wonder who that woman is staring back at me ?

It's definately not me - it's a stranger that I don't recognise.  How and when did I become that old woman in the mirror.



Because I don't recognise myself anymore, it's given me a huge inferiority complex.  I feel no one will want to know me because I'm getting old.  I know all the cliches i.e. you are still the same person inside, beauty is only skin deep, it's who you are that matters not what you look like, etc. etc., but it has to be said, I'm not 'doing ageing' very well.

I'm still the same person inside, I still feel, laugh, hurt and cry.  I still have hopes and dreams, but it's clear time is running out - I'd better get a wriggle on !

I think it is more relevant when you are not part of a couple any more, families are busy with their own lives, doing their own thing, which is how it should be.  It's up to us 'old wrinklies' to keep on dreaming, keep on doing, but more importantly, do it for ourselves now.



WARNING
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens . . .

The ending of the poem pleases its readers when the woman says . . .

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.






So how do you cope with the reflection in the mirror ?

take care peeps .........

4 comments:

  1. "And gobble up samples in shops"
    Ha,ha! That sums me up.
    There were loads in Sainsbury's this afternoon - well, until I got there!
    (I'm joking - I always feel guilty having a second piece.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't look at the mirror very much - I've got better things to do such as trundling my red and white polka dot shopping trolley up and down the road. I also hit waste paper bins as I pass them (no railings round here) and sipping sherry takes up some of my time aswell!
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I intend to ignore mirrors, I hardly look in them now, just to check that my hair is under control.I do not use make up, I can moisturize without looking at myself. I wear purple and red together and love bright colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Pam ! I just got back from a walk where I caught sight of myself in a shop window - strewth - I have on jeans with home made leg warmers pulled right up to the knee, parka jacket, cowl, scarf and hat and using my 'shepherds crook' stick to stop me falling over ! lots of bright colours - ha ha - what a sight - but who cares, I'm sure I gave some folks something to talk about !
      A man I've never seen before said 'hello' to me, I don't think he could believe his eyes !

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...