Friday, 8 June 2012

Beloved Pets.......

Greetings,

Yesterday I was waiting to hear from the vet about Chuck the Rabbit and Carrotcat.

I got the phone call .......... Chuck had had his operation, his teeth had to be ground down, but an underlying problem was also detected, a head tilt - common in rabbits, but as it was only just 'surfacing' I was assured that daily medication would keep it under control and prevent it getting worse and the rabbit developing paralysis of the back legs.  Bad enough news but as least he was eating and could be brought home and with TLC I would keep him for longer.

The news for Carrotcat was not good ......... he had had his scan and a small malignant tumour discovered in his intestine, a difficult enough spot to make it inoperable.  The vet said he would 'try' if I wanted but Carrotcat would go through a lot of trauma, distress and pain, and there wasn't much chance of success.

It was decided to leave him be, he is not in pain, he is eating well, and daily medication to stop the tumour growing too fast.  He is on borrowed time. - I am distraught.



Carrotcat came to me as a stray, as have all my animal friends, he has been the most loving and entertaining of cats.  When I lived in the country he was known locally as 'Carrot the Sheepcat' because he used to walk around the fields with me to round up the sheep, he loved it, and the sheep didn't mind when he jumped up on their backs to make a 'nest' in their fleece as cats do.
Half way round though he would get tired and sit on my shoulders all the way back to the house.

I have a vivid memory one day being in the orchard, the grass had grown long because of wet weather, carrot was following me as usual, I turned and all I could see was a black 'hook' of a tail sticking up over the grass !

He has a fetish with heads ! strange but true, he likes to lick heads and hair !  strange boy ......... once a plumber came to the house - follically challenged shall we say, and Carrotcat couldn't stop himself from licking the poor guys head - thank goodness he was a cat lover.

On other occasions, when I was selling property, Carrotcat always had to do 'the tour' with prospective buyers, leading them from room to room - he won't be left out of anything!

The pain of losing a pet cannot be put into words, it's all consuming, suffocating and choking.
I still have my beloved Carrotcat and he will have the best of everything (not that he didn't anyway).

I don't honestly know whether it is best to 'know' that your pet is dying or not.
Knowing gives the opportunity for extra time, cuddles and treats, but it also means that I die a little each day just knowing the situation, the pain is engulfing me.

I've been through it so many times with my animal sanctuary, it doesn't get easier, you never get used to it.

I know people say that is why they won't have another pet in their lives, and I fully understand the reasons why.  I can't live without animals however.
Knowing I have helped and given them a second chance in life and a loving home will deaden the pain (eventually) I know, but it will never go away.

I will take in anything that needs a home, two legs or four, fur or feather, I will do my utmost to give love to any creature that needs it.



Oh what unhappy twist of fate
Has brought you homeless to my gate?
The gate where once another stood
To beg for shelter, warmth and food
For from that day I ceased to be
The master of my destiny.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
While he with purr and velvet paw
Became within my house the law.
He scratched the furniture and shed
And claimed the middle of my bed.
He ruled in arrogance and pride
and broke my heart the day he died.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
SO, if you really think, oh Cat,
I'd willingly relive all that
Because you come forlorn and thin
Well....don't just stand there....come on in! ~Francis~


Beloved Chuck the rabbit died last night

take care peeps ...............


8 comments:

  1. Oh Wean, what a beautiful, poignant post.Sending you a virtual HUG . ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so NOT expecting that last line of your post :0( Today you must be feeling like C**P. I am so sorry to hear this news about your rabbit and your cat. Life feels unfair sometimes doesn't it. Thinking of you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about both your beloved friends, I am without animals now having lost my 3rd cat last year, it is strange not having a furry friend to great me but they all gave me years of devotion, if we have animals we get the heartache also. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear Wean. I am so sorry to hear about your sad loss. Rabbits are lovely pets, so cute and friendly. Sorry about Carrotcat. I think it is best to know when they are poorly, you can spoil them rotten in the time they have left. Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, poor you. Such awful news. I had a little rabbit for many years. He was a house rabbit and totally housetrained. I was very upset when he died and was horrified at the number of people who said 'why are you so bothered its ONLY a rabbit'. Only other animal lovers understand. They all leave their mark and live on in our memories. I hope Carrotcat remains pain free and comfortable for a good long time. Remember to take good care of yourself too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your bunny and your cat, what sad news. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you.
    Your kind comments help.
    It's so good to know there are real animal lovers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to read about your rabbit and your cat. I was heartbroken when my rabbit died, and was the same with each of my hamsters. It was very strange to be in the house during the day without another living creature.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...