Thursday, 7 June 2012

Re-use pickling vinegar ?

Greetings,

I'm waiting for a phone call from the vet about Carrotcat and Chuck the rabbit, so I've been making notes on how to re-use pickling vinegar, (to keep my mind on other things)

Most of these I use myself, some I've picked up here and there off the net, but hopefully they will all be of use to you.


This is the sort of thing I mean.  The vinegar in pickles such as these is much too precious to throw down the sink.  Think of all the spices/herbs that have been added to it, it would cost a lot to make up a amix like this for yourself, plus it has absorbed flavours already from what was in the jar.

Now I also know there is salt in this mix, I don't have a problem with that because I very rarely use salt (or sugar) in any food, preferring to get the natural tastes.  So this is something for you to bear in mind.

Here are some ideas:

Re-use as a base pickling vinegar
Thinly slice cucumbers and add to jar
Add hard boiled eggs for very tasty pickled eggs
Add to sauces and gravies for that extra 'zing'
Sprinkle it on your chips - much better than plain vinegar
Add to mashed potatos
Use in salad dressings or just trickle over salad leaves
Tuna (tinned) can be a little on the dry side, add some of this spicy liquid to give an instant lift
Add your own chopped, sliced or grated veggies from the garden and leave to marinade - cauliflower does well like this


Add green tomatos at the end of the growing season
If you are a meat eater - try marinading sliced beef/steak in the liquid, leave for a minimum of one hour before cooking, not only adds flavour but also acts as a tenderiser
Use as a weedkiller - (what a waste!)
Use on the compost heap - (again what a waste but each to his own)

A couple of medicinal uses - note:  I haven't tried these, perhaps you'd let me know what you think ?
Drink for indigestion/heartburn
Also good for nightcramps (apparantly)

I'm sure there are loads more, if you have any suggestions I'd like to hear from you.
Remember this is for 'spiced' vinegar, not plain/unused.

take care peeps ...........



3 comments:

  1. What a good idea. I get upset when I have to disgard the vinegar. Pickling vinegar has an added bonus for me. I have a gluten problem and pickling vinegar, unlike malt is gluten free.

    Take care x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's another one for the 'medicinal' uses then - I too hate throwing it away, there's so many uses.
    Thank you for your comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely buy or eat anything pickled. However, I do put cucucmbers, garlic, onions, salt and pepper in vinegar for others to eat. I never pickle anything because I don't like/am allergic to anything pickled. However, I could throw vegetable in it next time I empty a jar of pickles. For me, putting it on compost or in the yard would not be wasting it since I will not be reusing much. Now, however, I will reuse it. Great tip.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...