Friday, 22 February 2013

Frugal fashion, fabulous freebies and a couple of crusty rolls !

Geetings,

Now I'm not known for my fashion posts, but I'm being spurred on lately by pictures of the lovely Vix in her super outfits, to rummage through my own vintage collection, they're all original stuff I wore back in the 60's/70's.  I'm delighted I can still get into them.

So with that in mind, when I saw this dress in a charity shop this morning, I couldn't resist, after all it's Laura Ashley !  for the princely sum of £2.00 !  



It's a nice 'easy fit' style, slightly flared skirt and in a cotton knit fabric so it 'hangs' well.  I reckon it will look good with boots, but I'll have to pop over to Vix's to see how to accessorise it !


I did very well on Freecycle yesterday,  I have to admit, that since Freecycle and Freegle had publicity recently in national papers, it's been very difficult to get anything, what makes me mad, is that greedy people are now 'snaffling' everything and anything thats going with a view to selling on Ebay or car boot sales !  this always happens, just as recently a lady had her 15 minutes of fame boasting how she lived for practically nothing using money off coupons, and almost immediately all the supermarkets imposed limits on how many they would accept - why can't people keep their mouths shut when they are on to a good thing ?  Anyway, I'm digressing again, I saw these on offer, asked about them and got them - much to my surprise, mind you, the lady had had three 'no shows' before she contacted me !

Lookie here .............. ! now if anyone has read my tutorial on candle making, you will appreciate what a lucky find this is for me.



Two boxes were offered, and I honestly expected them to be the size of an A4 piece of paper, but these are enormous !  full of candle making stuff,  just one or two bits used, but basically complete, wax, beads, moulds, crayons, all that is necessary, these must have been very expensive when new.

So what can you do with a couple of old crusty cobs then ?  answers on a postcard please.  I hate throwing the least scrap of food away so thought there must be something.  They really were hard, I mean the England cricket team could have done something with these !




I managed to break them into chunks with the help of a rolling pin, soaked them in milk with a beaten egg and a little sugar, I then added a bag of blackberries from my garden (from the freezer) topped with some more bread 'mush' and into the slow cooker  - 





Yum yum ! served with one of these - now these were 99p for 18 !!!!  - unbelievable eh ?  One is just enough to top a desert or serve with muesli etc.  strewth, can't better that can you ?


So I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself at the moment - and the lovely CarrotCat says 'hello'


ain't he beautiful ?  he's hanging on in there folks - giving me the screaming 'abdabs' and sleepless nights, but he's still with me ..............

Now, who put the 'CAT' in 'catapult' ?   ******** Rasputin, otherwise known as Thug/pain in the ***/cat from Hell !  -  I kid you not - be afraid, be very afraid !

 
take care peeps .............
 





3 comments:

  1. I love freecycle too- I have given away lots of stuff when I was moving last year. I save all my old bread ends/bits for stuffing. I also use them and turn them into breadcrumbs for casseroles with my mini-food proceessor. Yours was a great use. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello kitties! Aren't they adorable?
    Great score on the dress. I'd go for chunky brown knee high boots, some wooden bangles and a denim jacket, rustic with an edge.
    Stale bread? I've a good recipe pinched from The Guardian, it is helpful occasionally!
    http://vintagevixon.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/baby-i-love-hugh.html
    Have a great weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I justwish i could wear anything I ha from the 60s! That dessert looks delicious. I will have to remember that recipe.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...