Saturday, 1 June 2013

Aren't I brave ?

Greetings,
I've been to the dentist !  'so what' I hear you ask it's no big deal' - WELL IT IS FOR ME BABY !!

I haven't been to a dentist for over 15 years !
Reasons ?  a combination of fear and finance.  Too much of one and too little of the other !

( yes that is me, aren't I lovely ?)

Last time I went I had a bad experience - and I do mean bad - which resulted in me saying 'never again'

Well I realised I couldn't go on like this, not because I am in pain (thank goodness) or need much work done, but because I drink enough tea to float a battleship, my teeth have become badly stained. (not attractive)

I have been told that 'considering my age' (which is great) my teeth aren't in bad condition at all - she says swelling with pride.

Apparantly I need mega cleaning up, scaling/polishing etc., one has a piece broken off, but can be built up I am assured, and a reasonable colour restored (tea lake excluded)

The lovely, kind, caring, compassionate, understanding, dentist told me he wasn't there to 'judge' and I am definately not the worst case he has seen (??) and nothing is irreversible.  That'll do for me !

I put this down to healthy eating i.e. I hate sugar, I can't stand it sprinkled on desserts/cereals etc., it spoils the taste for me, and I don't take it in tea/coffee.  I also steer clear of too many oranges/orange juice because of the enamel stripping acid they contain.  I know of many cases where folks (younger than me) have had all their teeth taken out when they didn't need too -  why ??  that sounds awful to me.

So next week back I go, for 'deep' exrays and an initial scale and polish, with several appointments after that to complete the job.  I was told I must be 'dis-arranged' (?) apparantly the foreign dentist meant I must wear my very long hair down with no clips/pins etc., that will show up on the ex-ray.

Now that is a challenge !  I have extremely long hair and hate wearing it down, so I am losing sleep about how to wear my hair rather than the treatment to come.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll sort it out - Simon Cowell watch out !!

5 comments:

  1. Well done in going to the dentist..it's not my favourite either. How about popping your hair into a French plait? That would hold in place with no clips & pins just a band on the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know of anyone who "wants" to go to the dentist but it important to our all over health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true - but I bet most of you go more than once in 15 years !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can thoroughly relate to you! I had a horrendous experience at 16 years old and didn't go for 12 years, until fear of what might happen if I didn't go overcame the fear of what had happened. So I know exactly how you feel and say a big WELL DONE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel too. I had a really bad experience when I was small and even used to make my mum cross the road because we had to pass the dentist on the way to school. It was over 10 years before I went to the dentist again and then only because I woke up the day before my first ever foriegn holiday with a massive abcess. I had to spend the holiday on anti-biotics. So Well Done you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...