Monday, 22 July 2013

Grow your own watercress without running water .............

Greetings,



I love watercress, but it's not cheap, and it's not always available with a yellow sticker on, so I've been looking for ways to grow my own.
Now I don't have the luxury of a freshwater stream trickling through  my tiny garden, so another way had to be found.  I've tried various ways sourced from the net, but none have worked, but I 'found' this method yesterday and decided to give it a try, it looks promising to me.  Note:  this is NOT my idea, I can't remember where it came from, but if it was from your blog, let me know and I'll give you the credit.

First buy yourself a bag of watercress from your favourite supermarket, preferably reduced, you won't need the whole bag for this project, there'll be lots left to eat.

Place a few 'sprigs' in a jar of water and wait for it to root, it won't take long.



I left these in water a bit too long, but it doesn't matter, cut off any dead or yellow leaves.

Then you need two containers, one with holes drilled all over the bottom, and one a little larger that the first one will fit into.  Here is what I have used.


A sieve ! and a washing up bowl.  Both of which were found in my garage.  I don't have a drill to make the holes in a plastic bowl/container, and I had no intention of buying one, it rather defeats the object when you are a tightarse frugal.

Next fill the sieve/smaller drilled container with compost, and soak it well.  Then soak it again, then soak it again.  This is 'water'cress we're growing here, so the more water the better.

 
Plant it up with your rooted watercress sprigs and place inside the smaller bowl and ta-dah !  there you have it !
 
 
 
Place it in a shady spot while the watercress 'settles in' then keep it in semi-shade, it doesn't like full sun.  Change the water once a week (make sure you use the compost water on your garden or to water your pot plants)
 
You don't need acres of this stuff, it's very peppery/spicy, so one or two sprigs in with a green salad is enough to spice it up a little.  This small amount is plenty for me, but make more if you want.
 
I'll post pics of it when it's grown a little more.
 
take care peeps ...............
 


3 comments:

  1. What a great how to! I must try this (when I have a spare minute!) Thanks for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watercress,I`m definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...