Saturday, 26 October 2013

What the ****** is this !

Greetings,

As you know I can't walk past a yellow sticker, even, it seems, if I haven't a clue what it is !!  those of you who live in my area of beautiful Shropshire will often have seen me loitering and lurking around the reduced cabinets in the hope of snaffling a bargain.

So can you help me please ?  what on earth is this ?



Is it fruit or vegetable ?  is it to be eaten raw, cooked, steamed, roasted or what ?

answers on a postcard please -

you can submit your opinions but note, any ideas submitted after 10 pm on Saturday 26th. October, may not be counted but may still be charged !!

I look forward to being enlightened on this delicious looking (possibly dubious)  fruit/vegetable.  I have to say it looks like something from Dr Who to me, or possibly on the menu of the canteen in the Starship Enterprise.

Right now I don't know whether to preserve it, boast about it or give it a saucer of milk .... one thing I do know, is that at £2.50 each !!  YES YOU HEARD RIGHT  £2.50 each, I must make the most of it because I don't think I'll ever be able to afford this honourable and exclusive fruit ? again.

It was reduced to 25p by the way.

So, I hope you are having a nice day, the weather remains mild considering the time of year.

I've spent some time clearing the pots in the garden, cutting away dead wood, etc. etc.,  I can't walk across my lawn here, as usual it's waterlogged.

I've had to cancel a craft fair booked for today because my sewing machine packed up, the organisers were very good and 'tore my cheque up' as they had a waiting list of exhibitors.  Oh well, onwards and upward, look forward to the next one.

I didn't realise there were so many things you could do with denim !!

take care peeps .........


15 comments:

  1. I think it is either an ugly fruit or a dragon fruit. No idea what you do with it though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well it's ugly alright ! beautiful colour though .......

      Delete
  2. I think it's a dragon fruit :) Found this.....Preparation
    Pitaya skin is inedible, but its seed-filled flesh can be easily removed with a teaspoon, or cut away from its skin and diced or sliced into rounds. Add lime juice to bring out the flavour of pitaya and combine with other tropical fruit such as watermelon, lychee, rambutan and star fruit in fruit salads or fruit drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you KK, I did have a tub of other tropical fruits (reduced of course) so I mixed it in with those, must say it is rather bland though

      Delete
  3. I think it's a dragon fruit too, ate one on holiday once when I was lured in by its pretty pinkness, I don't think it tasted too pretty though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're right sooz - tastes of 'nothing' on it's own
      by the way did you know the boot sale is coming back to the town centre - under cover - so it will be all year round ! how good is that ?

      Delete
    2. Ooo I didn't know that! How exciting! Although I have enjoyed it being in Welly this summer, very nice to roll out of bed and be in walking distance of car booty!

      Delete
    3. Yes it's under cover in the Cherry Pink car park - all the year round - can't wait !

      Delete
  4. kittykitty weaselfish is right, and I just love saying the name of that blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I'd love to know the origins of that name - wonder if she'll tell us ?

      Delete
  5. Wean, you make me laugh. I thought it was two chickens, dressed and ready for the roaster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi HP,
      well I didn't do much with it really, just peeled and sliced, as said above, it's very bland, but the beauty lies in it's deep rich colour - perfect if you want to impress guests at a dinner party ! but I won't be using them again, far too expensive for too little return (a bit like asparagus I think)

      Delete
  6. Hi Wean! Can't wait to hear what you did with it! I would have had NO idea!

    XOXO
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynn,
    well after finding out it is in fact a fruit (from blogging buddies) I just peeled, sliced and served it with natural yoghurt and other fruits - I adore the colour but the taste isn't worth getting excited about. Never mind, I tried one of lifes luxuries !

    ReplyDelete
  8. They grow in Queensland, cost ten times the price in Tasmania as they do in UK, nuts since we are only just down the road from Qld.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...