Saturday, 18 January 2014

People Watching ...........

Greetings,

First and foremost, welcome to John Wooldridge, a new follower, thank you for joining John.

I had a day at my sons showrooms yesterday 'minding the shop'.  I enjoy it, I don't get bored, I take books and magazines to read, I have plenty of tea/coffee on hand, a comfortable chair to swivel around on, and of course I indulge in people watching.


I've got used to some of the regulars that walk past the shop, like the lady who clearly does not conform to any fashion dictates, this time I saw her in a purple jacket, red skirt, black fishnet tights, wellies and hat with a bear on it - good for her, she has the courage to be different and she brightened my day (or she just has lousy fashion sense)

There is the little old lady, bent over her zimmer frame, obviously in pain and struggling to get along, deep respect for her, she hasn't given up, is getting 'out there' and keeping as active as she can.

There is a young mother, dripping in gold with a pushchair that is obviously a fashion accessory and covered in tattoos (the woman not the  pushchair!) dragging a rather dirty looking child along with her, no prizes for guessing where her money goes.

There is a rather portly man, middle aged who springs along the road, then a couple of hours later staggers back (wonder where he goes ?)   He sometimes stops to get himself together just outside the shop, and has a habit of sort of learing in, I dread him coming in one day, it surely won't be to buy a new kitchen.  I find something to do in the back room when he is due.

The young girls are next coming home from school, looking pretty in their uniforms but looking more like they are auditioning for X-Factor instead of just coming out of school - I worry for them, they are so vulnerable in this sick world.

My favourite, a lady that comes by with an older style pram, the kind I lusted after when I had my children, it is basically a carry-cot that detaches from the pram base/wheels, has handles on and could be put in the back of a car - no safety belts in those days - I know I know .......

Anyway there always seemed to be a lot of movement coming from this pram, a lively baby I thought, until one day she stopped right outside the door uncoverd the 'apron' and there was a little dog !  ah how sweet.  Perhaps the doggy was old and couldn't walk far, but she braved ridicule for that dogs benefit - again deep respect.

So then I get back to being busy, reading, drinking tea and snacking, and of course swivelling around on the office chair.  One day I will disappear altogether down a hole in the floor - I can see the headlines now :

'No sign has been found of Shropshire woman, last seen swivelling around at an alarming rate on an office chair, she is believed to have disappeared down a hole in the floor.
Police are interviewing the following witnesses:  A brightly dressed lady, a senior citizen on a zimmer frame, a young mother who obviously is claiming too much in benefit and spending it all on herself, a drunk happy looking gentleman and a dog walker pusher.'

take care peeps ...........


16 comments:

  1. I felt like I was right there people watching with you! You and the swivel chair going through the floor is hilarious! I needed a good laugh this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are feeling better Henny
      xxx

      Delete
  2. People watching and giving them a story is such fun. I hope you weren't too dizzy from chair spinning when your day was done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will never know they have achieved 'fame' ha ha

      Delete
  3. Thank for the warm welcome Wean, tis indeed appreciated. Ah people watching, tis a thing that I enjoy myself and to read your thoughts on these 'strangers' brings a rare smile to my lips.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, days of enforced 'inactivity' make me do strange things !

      Delete
  4. Maybe you'll swivel right down to Wonderland! Say hi to Alice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know about Wonderland Debra - Cuckoo Land more like !
      hope you are feeling better
      xxx

      Delete
  5. I love people watching too, especially at work (no, I am working very hard at work, honest, definitely not looking at peoples outfits. Really) I especially like patchwork lady, who wears outfits seemingly all made from handmade patchwork, and a dad and little girl who are always wearing amazing hand knitted jumpers and hats.

    Sounds like you had a nice day and entertained yourself very well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you Sooz !
      like the sound of the patchwork lady.

      Delete
  6. You have made me smile, I can see these people in minds eye! You are not alone - people watching is a favourite thing of mine too, though it is second to "trolley watching" in the supermarket queue. Questions that go through my head are, "What does this trolley say about the person pushing it?" "Do the two images match up?" (often not) and "Mmm what would I make with that trolley of stuff?" It passes an otherwise boring wait. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't be asking 'what can I do with that trolley of stuff' I would be asking 'what can I do with that trolley' ?
    fruit cage, rabbit/chicken run, (turned upside down of course), line it with plastic and fill it with plants, raised bed for veggies ? great for strawberry plants don't you think, the runners bearing fruit could hang through the bars and the fruit wouldn't get dirty -
    yes - I am strange !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weeeeeeeee!!! As you swing around in the swivel chair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you staying with the black dog? Come back.
    Ann in Canada

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...