First of all, welcome to simplesuffolksmallholder, a new follower (I haven't had one of those for ages) !
Haven't we all been on the receiving end of absolutely stupid questions ? I'm sure the person asking the question just doesn't give a thought to how silly they sound. Here's a few that are heard very regularly. (and some of the replies I'd like to give)
1. At the checkout: - Do you want any help with your packing ?
'Yes, this box of matches is soooo heavy, I will need someone to carry it to the car as well.'
2. At the Post Office Counter: 'For the purposes of security, what's inside the box ?'
My first reaction would be to say, 'mind your own business', but can't do that, so I say 'a porcelain ornament'
'Is it well packed' I'm asked -
'No, I'm hoping it will be smashed into a thousand pieces and the buyer can claim back a full refund and leave me negative feedback - thank you for asking'
3. 'Is this seat empty' - 'no, my invisible friend is sitting there'
4. 'Are you in the queue?' - 'no, I just saw a line of people standing here so thought I'd join them to see what was happening'
5. 'Yes if you've got it' is the standard reply when you offer someone in a shop an odd coin or two to make giving change easier, I want to say 'well I haven't - I'm just winding you up'
Have you any to add ? I'd love to hear them ...