Monday, 5 January 2015

Too Much Technology - My Head Hurts ... !

It is no secret, I am technically challenged ! I am 'a certain age' and was not born with the ability to know my way around all things techie, so I have to learn everything I want or need to know from step one.  It's not easy.


I should be thankful at the moment though I suppose I'm not trying to fix a 'problem' as such, I've just finished installing a new printer and all the stages in involves.  It 'appears' to have gone well.

Why do manufacturers put 'just connect and use' on their boxes ?  I am sure this is contravening Trading Standards regulations, because there's no such thing as just 'connect and use' or 'plug and play' for that matter.  What they should really say is 'providing you have a University Degree in computing and all things computers, and you have been brought up in the technological age where these things come as second nature, if you are over a certain age, forget it dear, you have no chance' !

I refuse to give up - on anything.  I will not be beaten even though it almost finishes me off, the trouble is, it very often does.

How nice it must be to have someone to turn to for help in these matters, a helpful partner, or a knowledgeable youngster who doesn't think you are the weakest link, and doesn't mind helping.

In the last year, I have had several nervous breakdowns and a minor heart attack figuring out and installing two (yes two!) 3-in-1 printers, a state-of-the-art camera, a new laptop with Windows 8 (OMG don't mention Windows 8) and a Satnav.

I have also written a book which was far easier than getting it formatted for download onto various apps. and a new mobile phone - don't ask !

I hope in 2015 all my 'techie gadgets' work and don't give me any problems.





2 comments:

  1. I've just found your blog after you commented on Morgans.
    I think every person over about 50 needs a child of around 14 in the house to sort out all the techie gadgets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're so right - even the 'know how' books I buy seem to be written in Chinese !

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...