Saturday, 21 February 2015

OMG - I've grown an extra head ... !

Let me explain - are you sitting comfortably ... ?



As a pensioner, I've never been able to afford much dental treatment.  I've always done my best and still have my own teeth minus 2 which were extracted at an early age.
I don't eat sugar or sweet stuff and brush regularly and use mouthwash.

My only problem is that last year I thought they needed a clean up, a scale and polish if you like.  I had no other problems.

What happened on that visit scared the ***** out of me !

Now bear in mind I said I had no problems, but the dentist said I would have to go to the local hospital, have a general anaesthetic and have 'several' teeth extracted  !!!  well after they picked me up off the floor I asked why, and he said that because of 'my age' it would be better to do it now rather than later - !!!

I asked him how many teeth were affected and would have to be removed and he said he didn't know, in spite of the fact that he had done an exray.
'So' I said 'you want me to go to the hospital, have an anaesthetic, then when I come round I may not have a tooth in my head ?'
'yes' he said
I was out of that place quicker than a rat up a drainpipe !!  and never went back in spite of being sent three reminders - was he having a 'larf ??

This scared me and I haven't been to a dentist since.

Are you still with me ... ?

Sooooo, last night, I felt a 'slight' ache in one of my teeth, not enough to make me too concerned, I took a couple of Ibuprofen and forgot about it made a mental note to consult a dentist on Monday.

Now when I went into the bathroom this morning and looked into the mirror I nearly collapsed with shock !  I had a H U G E  swelling on the side of my face covering my jaw, extending into my neck and up towards my eye and ear - I can't tell you how horrified  was.

After I'd stopped shaking, I realised 'something' had happened in the night and had to be dealt with immediately.  Long story short, after trying to get in to several emergency dental surgeries, I phoned 111 in desperation. 111 is the new number in UK that you phone if you think your problem isn't bad enough to warrant a paramedic or an ambulance.  I've never phoned it before and felt rather guilty.  I'm one of those people who only go to the doctors about once in 5 years - sometimes not as often as that !

Anyway after taking details they decided I had to be seen immediately especially as I had the feeling that my throat was 'closing up'.

At the emergency dental centre, I was diagnosed with 'severe infection in the lower gums' and given yet more anti-biotics, the third lot this month !

I'm at home now recovering  from the shock, the pain has increased, I've been told I can take paracetomol (sp) but the good thing to come out of all this is that when I recounted my story of my other visit to a dentist and the threat of having all my teeth pulled, he was as horrified as I was and said that should never have happened and thank goodness I didn't take that advice as apart from the current problem, which is in the gums not the teeth, my teeth were in very good condition and there is nothing that a little work can't put right.  A clean up, a couple of fillings and possibly a crown.

The dentist this morning completely reassured me and when my other head has disappeared I will go ahead and start treatment. (or perhaps I may keep it - they say two heads are better than one don't they?)

I'm disgusted at what happened to me but am thankful I thought it through for myself and declined the offer to become 'toothless'.

If anything like this happens to you, always, always check it out and think it out for yourself.  I 'knew' my teeth were good and strong and anyway I've been told that even if they were loose as sometimes happens with age, there is no need to extract them as something can be done.

In the meantime, if you see someone out with what looks like two heads - it will be me !!

14 comments:

  1. Bless you how scary for you, I hate the dentist, but I try to be brave now, as I have got used to needles, and pain, and being pocked and prodded, its not nice, sometimes you just have to grin and bear it (sorry please excuse the pun), hope you feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SL - my biggest fear is to have teeth pulled, but now I know that won't be necessary, I'll be a brave soldier !

      Delete
  2. Always get a second inion before doing anything major. Sorry though, that your second opinion came about win because of that horrifying incident.. I hope the antibiotics work quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I didn't have any decay and the dentist this morning confirmed that.
      Thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  3. Goodness, that tooth-pulling dentist sounds really scary! Hope you're feeling better soon : )
    (My dentist keeps recommending I have tooth implants, only £2000 per tooth, bargain! Funnily enough I'd rather keep the bridge that's stayed put since it was fitted 12 years ago!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheap at half the price Susie ! I know someone who had those implants and apparently the pain was indescribable !
      I'm talking about Whitecross Dental practice for the bad advice and the Princess Royal of course, you will know those.
      I went to Dawley this morning.

      Delete
  4. Oh good grief, I do hope the antibiotics work quickly so you can get back to normal. What the dentist said sounds like what they used to say back in the 1940s when teeth were whipped out all the time. I'm not keen on going to the dentist so I just go once a year and - touch wood- this seems to be enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm getting a bit fed up of being on meds now. I know someone who took that advice from the same dentist, she went to the hospital and ended up with no teeth - now she has two plates - how awful for her, she had no problems either.

      Delete
  5. Oh Wean, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It's hard to be cheerful with a tooth ache and yet you are. I have sure had my share of bad teeth and tooth aches.. I'm just glad you did not get your teeth pulled. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Henny, I'm 'doped up to the eyes right now' ha ha
      so not feeling too much pain. There are people lots worse off aren't there.
      take care and thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. unfortunately your story is not that unusual. We had a great dentist for nearly 25 years and then we moved, I am still on the fence with this new one. A lot of them are out to make money and that's it!!

    Gill in Canada, your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Gill, it's not easy finding a good one. Everyone has to make a living but it's wrong to give such bad advice for the sake of a 'quick buck'.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a dentist I went to when I was in my teens. I had a terrible overbite, and his way of fixing it was to remove my teeth and break my jaw and reset. No way. Got scared of the dentist after that, and it was a good many years before I went again.

    Needless to say, I'm in the same boat as you. As a retiree there is little in the way of dental insurance. I live in fear that I'll need something done and it will wipe me out. It's a shame they can't come up with something for us.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG - that sounds horrific - and it does scare the ***** out of us doesn't it ?
      I can't help but wonder if my age had something to do with it i.e. why waste time doing work on an older person ? I may be wrong but ......
      that obviously wasn't the case in your experience though.
      thanks for commenting.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...