Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Good grief ... how much ... ?

You cannot be serious ... !

 
I had to post a letter to America yesterday, Austin in Texas to be precise.  When told the price I nearly collapsed in disbelief.
 
£7 - !   -   £7 ***** - !

I only wanted it signed for, not personally delivered my Mr Obama !!  although for that price he should  have done.
 
I didn't have a choice really.  My ebook 'Enough is Enough' is published by an American company which distributes it Worldwide.  Apparantly, I will have to pay taxes to Uncle Sam if I don't apply for a tax exemption certificate.  UK is one of the countries that have a tax treaty agreement with the US, so provided I get the necessary paperwork, I should be OK and will only have to pay taxes here in UK if and when I sell enough.
Right now  haven't sold enough to pay for this postage !
 
As if that's not bad enough, I have to do it twice more, they will send another form to be returned, then another, and finally I get the exemption.  Now based on £7 a time, I'm going to have to go and lie down in a darkened room to get over the shock.

Getting this right will also enable me to list it on Amazon.  They have accepted it but won't publish it until this matter is completed.
 

6 comments:

  1. the price of postage is crazy in all countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure is - even inland post here in UK can be unbelievable. For instance, on some items it's cheaper to get a private courier to collect from your door than it is to use the Royal Mail !

      Delete
  2. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason behind postal charges. I recently sent 2 identical packets out, 1 to Kent and 1 to Australia. The Australia postage was only £1 more than the Kent one. Very strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ridiculous - I mean what difference would envelope containing two sheets of paper make to the weight of a plane ? I think around the £2 mark would have been acceptable - oh well .....

      Delete
  3. The cost of living is constantly going up and there is nothing we can do about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, but a good old moan can sometimes help !

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...