Thursday, 28 May 2015

'I suppose you make a lot of money from your blog ... ?

I've had two emails recently that I put on the back burner but have decided to 'air' them, the first was telling me I should not have ads on my blog because 'making money is not what it's all about' ...

well in answer to that I'd say, anyone can do what they want with their own blogs, none of us need permission from anyone.  I actually like blogs with a few ads on because they usually are tailored by Google to fit in with the subject matter or the days post, and I think they add to the look of the blog, but that's just my opinion.  I sometimes see ads that I would like to click on (on my own blog) but it isn't allowed and Google would slap our wrists.  No one is obliged to click on an ad, it's not compulsory.

Now to payment, unless you are one of the big boys it has to be said that in spite of all the hype on the net, you won't make 'big' money, in fact you won't even make 'small' money, and even a little 'pin money' is hard to get.  These days it's hard to make any money at all selling, just look at all the advertising there is around everywhere you look, it costs big companies millions of pounds/dollars, so what chance do little blogs have ?.

When I first started with AdSense, I was lucky to get 1p - 3p a week !  yes you read that right, a week !  now I'm hardly going to get rich at that rate.  Now I average the princely sum of 20p -30p a week.  Bloggers 'earn' if a visitor clicks on an add and 'looks around it' i.e. clicks on some internal links, obviously the advertiser is not going to pay for anything less and quite right too.  If just one click is made then the minimum of 1p is paid, sometimes not even that.

In my opinion, you have to be in the big league of bloggers to earn anything worth having, i.e. thousands of visits a day (I should be so lucky) but there are plenty of those around, it's a numbers game, and in the words of a well known supermarket that shall remain anonymous (Tesco) - 'Every Little Helps'.

So I hope I've cleared that up Anon, no offence taken, I too believed that money could be earned from 'moneytising' your blog until I tried it, however I won't be cancelling ads from my blog because I like them.

I'll leave the reply to the other email for another time.
Have a nice day ...

13 comments:

  1. Shame that you have to justify what you do with your blog. It's yours to do with as you wish and if people don't like it they don't have to read it. To be honest I'd not even noticed the ads as I concentrate on what you write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel - my first reaction was to tell her to 'take a walk' - but by explaining it, it does clear up the misconception and hopefully explain how it works to other bloggers who may be considering signing up for AdSense.

      Delete
  2. What gives people the right to comment on how you live your life (or write your blog)? I'm quite sure I would have given a much less considered response than you, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me I was tempted, especially as it wasn't a very polite email ! but I guess if we put ourselves 'out there' in the public eye, we will get a percentage of negative responses.
      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  3. Your blog Wean and if you want ads then why not? - there fine by me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really didn't know that's how ads work. I've never really looked at ads on a blog, but probably need to start. Good to know. Thank you Wean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider they have the same 'earning capacity' as a store card, which has it's rewards if you are patient, i.e. tiny amounts do add up, but it's definitely not a regular source of income.

      Delete
  5. OK. I will have to say, I do have several thousand visits a day, we've had 3.5million page views and we use google adsense. Not making money either. Some days it's 50 cents, on occasion it's a whole $1.00 (US), lol. A dollar a day for 30 days is a whole $30, whoopee, ha.

    Like you, I like that the ads can be targeted and often match up with something we are posting about. But of course people have to click on them for you and us or anyone with ads to make money, ha.

    Keep doing what makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well lst Man, I am amazed that a site as successful as yours doesn't do better for you, but it goes to prove just how difficult it is.
      Thank you for taking the time to comment and I hope you don't spend all your 'earnings' at once - ha ha

      Delete
  6. I sometimes think about putting adds on my site but I haven't done it yet. I always say I'll do it when I get over a thousand hits a day and I'm not quite there yet.
    As for someone commenting on it I think I'd tell them they can go and read elsewhere if they don't like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm averaging between 250 and 280 hits a day right now, so you would probably do better than me.
      I must say I found the process of installing the ads very complicated and if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't do it ! I got there purely by luck but not until my brain was completely scrambled!
      I felt like telling the 'lady' where to go but thought it's no good lowering myself to her level.
      Thank you for commenting.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...