Saturday, 23 May 2015

Size does matter ... !

In my teeny tiny garden attached to my teeny tiny house, I have to make use of every inch.  I can't use the garden 'proper' because the water level is so high, after only one short shower, it's always flooded, the only thing that grows there are the blackberries and raspberries which seem to love it.

I have all my crops growing in pots, I rather like growing like that because you can give each plant individual attention and move them around to catch the sun or put them in shade.  So thinking of getting huge crops from small spaces, I've started a few climbing vine type veggies and fruits to maximise space.

Now this first one is a squash that I have coveted for a long time, I have not been able to get the seeds for ages, I've checked all the online suppliers for a long time but was amazed when I saw some on offer on Ebay a couple of weeks ago, so I snapped them up.   I first learned about this plant when I stumbled on this site:   http://www.livereadynow.com/the-incredible-edible-vine/

 
The fruits grow up to one metre, but are best used when younger and smaller.  Apparently they are very prolific and can climb 30 feet !  I have 5 seeds which are very precious and are planted up and being protected and pampered.  If I get one plant I will be very happy, if I get one fruit I will be ecstatic because then I will be able to harvest more seeds.  They have the most beautiful fragrant white flowers which are a bonus but the beauty of it though is that you can also eat the leaves, I'm imagining never-ending supplies of summer greens !
 
Also on the same theme, I got climbing spinach seeds, which are now about 2" high and are looking very strong, so I think they will climb well.
 
 
These are from Ebay as well, but were despatched from China.
 
This is another climbing vine - Okra which has lovely flowers too, if it doesn't fruit the flowers are well worth the growing.  I've never used Okra, but I think they can be preserved by pickling.
 
 
Next some fruits, this is a Banana Passiflora which will live in the conservatory, they have pretty pink flowers and produce small banana-like fruits about 4" long.
 
 
This is a Magnolia Vine with edible red berries.
 
 
On my walk today I went past a damson tree that I have noticed in the past and have foraged, there were some saplings growing at the base which jumped into my basket !  (I wasn't stealing them, just re-siting !)
 
I also bought some wild garlic seeds.  Where I used to live in South Shropshire the lanes were lined with them but it was forbidden to dig them up.  I've been looking for some on my walks but couldn't find any, so I got seeds instead.
 
 
So I have some unusual things to try, should be fun.  My lettuces are doing well as are the tomato's, spinach, chard and kale, as well as runner and French beans, the strawberries are looking good too, loaded with flowers, so I'm looking forward to a good harvest.

11 comments:

  1. Exciting tastes ahead! I've never heard of those except Okra ( tried it once -yuck!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may not like it either, but it will help cover the 'bodged' fencing here. Perhaps it's good preserved ? if I get a crop I'll post about it.

      Delete
  2. Some interesting plants there, Okra we add to stir fry's, :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that tip Dawn.

      Delete
  3. Okra can also be added to soups as they help thicken the broth. Very nice info today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's worth knowing, I make lots of soups and casseroles. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Ooo they look exciting! I've never heard of climbing spinach, I'll have to look out for that for next year, and I've never thought of buying wild garlic seeds but I shall be doing that too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie, I figured in a small space it's best to grow something 'different' instead of things that are easily available like peas, carrots and potato's.

      Delete
  5. haven't heard of a lot of those plants either. As I don't have a veggie garden, anything thing I grow is also in pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Instant garden' I call it. Whenever I move it only needs transporting too it's new home.
      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. Wean
    Thank you for your message and sorry it's taken me a few days to get back to you - it's a little bit manic here at the moment but I would love to meet up with you for a coffee and a good natter - if you can bear with me for the next week and then perhaps we can arrange to meet -hope you are well and Sopicat as well xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...