Sunday, 31 May 2015

You won't believe what the postman brought me yesterday ... !

I had a shock when I opened my post yesterday - it wasn't what I was expecting ... !

 
A threat of a summons for speeding from the West Mercia Police !!!
 
I couldn't believe it - my alleged crime was to drive at 35 mph in a 30 mph area.  OK, I've done the crime so I must do the time but folks, I was 600 yards from home, I was on my way to the vet, and I can't get out of 3rd gear in my car until I'm well over 30 mph, so I'm not a happy Granny right now.  I mean haven't the boys in blue got anything better to do than to summons a pensioner only slightly over the limit ?
 
 
Anyway, the paperwork that came with the summons was as clear as mud, so I went to the local Police Station to get it explained, and to find out which forms I had to return, and it transpires that I haven't actually committed a hanging offence, just a 'slight' offence, which means I have a choice of how to proceed.
 
I can pay £100 + 3points on my licence + my insurance premium will be affected OR I can 'choose' to go on a Safety Awareness Course, I was offered this with the same enthusiasm as I would be told I'd won the lottery !  this cost £85, I wouldn't have to produce my licence and my insurance would not be affected.  Now it seems an obvious choice, a 'no-brainer' as the PC in the station told me BUT included in the course (which lasts 5 hours by the way - what on earth can they talk about in 5  hours ? a driving test only lasts one hour !) is 'in car' training - ABSOLUTELY NO WAY ! and the reason is that my town has recently undergone major re-modelling including all the roads and have introduced major intersections and even the taxi drivers and bus drivers can't figure out which lanes they are supposed to be in so what chance would I have ?  at the moment I drive almost  a mile out of my way to avoid this new layout, so I would go completely to pieces if someone was with me and I was directed to one of these new island layouts.
 
I am, therefore, going to take the hit folks, I will send a cheque tomorrow with my licence and will just have to accept the points and deal with the increased insurance payments.
 
I will have to pull out all the frugality I have now to pay this fine, so please send donations together with files in cakes as soon as possible.
 
 

17 comments:

  1. Just the last thing anyone needs - with all the crime about you'd think that they'd have better things to do but then they might have to do some real work and end up going off work with stress - oh I am a cynical old woman aren't I?! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the stress and probably would have done the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got pulled over once I was doing 33 in a 30 mile, they talked to me like a right criminal and treated me like a piece of shit, then they just warned me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband found one waiting for him when we returned from a trip south recently. We paid the fine.
    I've canvassed a few folks and they are all of the opinion that a mere 3 points won't affect his insurance premium. Fingers crossed then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not W, I think I pay too much anyway.

      Delete
  5. Hubby got 3 points for speeding 5 years ago. We were on holiday in another county at the time, so going on the speed awareness course wasn't an option for him. We shopped around as we usually did when the insurance was due and found that by doing that we weren't hit with an increase in premium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that, I'm going to change.

      Delete
  6. I know several people who have done the course, they say it's five hours of being made to feel very small but really not too bad. Mind you, I wouldn't fancy 5 hours in a classroom so would probably pay the fine. I didn't know they have added some on road bits to the course

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your right, having to pay £100 (used to be £60) is bad enough without being humiliated as well ! I'm sure people of all ages are caught speeding, but I imagined myself in a room full of boy racers ! no way ...

      Delete
  7. Wow, talk about being between a rock and a hard place!
    The fine seems extremely high considering the offence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and opted to do the speed awareness course. As someone who passed their driving test more years ago than I would like to admit, the course was the best thing I could have done, and made me realise just how much I relied on being an "experienced" driver rather than being a good defensive one. It certainly made me more aware of my driving faults, including thinking that doing a few miles an hour over the speed limit doesn't really matter, when it can actually make the difference between surviving an accident or not, and would encourage anyone who passed their original driving test more than 10 years ago to consider it as an option.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, please go on the speed awareness course. It is run by private firms and they are not there to judge, merely, to point out that speed kills. My husband got caught in a speed camera, doing about 36mph. He thought about it all, and he is an experiences driver, however, he has also got quite a dogged approach to life. He went on the course and really enjoyed it, yes, it cost money, but no points. He said he learned a lot and was surprised by the variety of people on the course, right across the spectrum. They did not talk down to him and explained they were not there to do that. If you get caught again I believe you have to pay the fine and get the points. So hop in a taxi and go and do the course. Love Andie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. As someone who passed their driving test fifteen years ago, the course was the best thing I could have done. If you are also facing DUI charges, most lawyers offer a free consultation. Go meet them and explain them how you got into it and how they will help you. My brother is an intern with a Los Angeles DUI attorney. Let me know if you need any help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Wean, I took the course in April this year after doing 36 in a 30 mile zone. It wasn't half as bad as I expected and the day flew by. I wouldn't fancy 'in car' experience though :/ we had none of that.....I did learn an awful lot of new stuff though. I took my test aged 19 and I'm now 65! Things have changed...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...