Friday, 18 December 2015

A bit of a catch up and a cute way to keep your plates warm ...

Life has been happening just lately, as it does, and things have been moving on apace, rather faster than I expected.

New opportunities and chances have presented themselves, some I have already grabbed and some are still at the 'thinking about it' stage.  I believe you should take opportunities when they come along, after all you have a long time to regret it if you don't.  The two saddest words in the English Language have to be 'if only'.  Having said that, I must go ahead  with one life changing opportunity soon, but I think it will be left until the New Year now.  Now is not the time to give anything my full attention.

2015 has been a strange year for me, lots of heartache, loss and problems to deal with.  I've been kicked in the teeth metaphorically speaking on more than one occasion which has only strengthened my resolve for change.  Keeping your optimism and enthusiasm in the face of someone else's determination to 'bring you down' has not been easy, but I accept what life throws at me, it's sent for a reason, I am stronger for it and am making plans for next year, a new career path being one of them.

There are bloggers out there that are worse off than me in lots of ways, so I am grateful for my health and that I still stay optimistic and am given these chances.

Moving on ............. I bought a plate warmer from Ebay recently, a vintage one that uses one tealight to supply the heat to warm plates.  I don't have a picture of it being used for just that, but I took it a couple of steps further, like this :


Place a saucepan of water onto it with just enough water for a cuppa or whatever you want, and it will bring it to a boil in about 20 minutes.  OK, not exactly the speed of light, but you don't have to stand and watch  it, get on with your other jobs and you will have hot water ready when you are.
(necessary warning: do not leave unattended candles or boiling water within the reach of small children or pets especially if you are doing a balancing act like I did)

So then I thought that the steam from the water was going to waste, so I put a plate on top of the pan and that got heated through too just in time for lunch, so a hot plate and water for a drink all for the price of one t-light candle.



Now that's what I call frugal.

6 comments:

  1. oh wow that is so cool! i will have to have a look out for one, it would be great in a power cut :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does give out a small amount of warmth too.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting! And I agree with the other comment. Great if the power goes out! I hope all of your changes are very positive for you! Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn, I'm following your progress with interest.

      Delete
  3. I can remember my Mother using the griller to put the dinner plate sin to warm up off the heat from the oven whilst a roast was cooking. Heated plates are a nicety of a bygone era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true Phil, it makes such a difference to have a hot plate. I remember when I first set up home, my first cooker had a rack over it specifically for the purpose of keeping the plates warm. I think this is an old fashioned idea that is sadly missed.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...