Friday, 15 January 2016

Frugal pie recipe - yummy !

I haven't posted a recipe for a while so thought you'd like to see how I made a yummy pie for last nights dinner (and tonights) and one for the freezer.
It's a veggie version, but if you are a meat eater, you could easily add bacon bits, left over chicken etc. etc.,

The basis for this was a 39p pack of parsnips and a small tin of carrots, the rest of the ingredients I had in the cupboard.

Ingredients:
pack of parsnips or 5/6 loose
small tin of carrots or fresh (I didn't have any fresh last night)
1 onion
cooking oil
cream cheese (I make my own) or grated hard cheese
Turmeric/black pepper/salt

Chop the parsnips up into small cubes, they cook much quicker this way, I steam mine.


while these are steaming, chop up an onion


Fry this in oil with one teaspoon of turmeric mixed with half teaspoon of black pepper.  I keep a small spice pot with the mix ready to use.


You can see them taking on the yellow colour of the turmeric (see my note about Turmeric at the end of this recipe)


When the onion mixture is soft, add the cooked parsnips and tin of carrots, if you're using fresh carrots steam them with the parsnips.  Mix it altogether well so the mixture absorbs all the flavours.  Tip the mixture into an oven proof dish.


Prepare the topping -  (I cheated here, it was supposed to be Parsnip crumble, but I was tired and couldn't be bothered to mix up a savoury crumble topping)  I grabbed three slices of bread (seeded - should have been £1 but I got it for 30p ) cut it up into chunks, then fry it off in the same pan as the
parsnip/carrot mixture, add a little more oil and turmeric/black pepper mix first, cook until crispy.


While this is cooking, add some cream cheese (mine is home made) or a layer of grated cheese for protein, then top with the crispy bread cubes.


Here is the finished dish, I cooked it in the mini-oven, I didn't time it, it was done when the topping was browned.


I ate it last night with green and yellow beans.  For the very hungry a baked potato would be nice with it, or chips, and it really tastes as good as it looks.

So for a 39p bag of parsnips and 14p for the carrots (I don't count the stuff I already have in the house) that works out at approx 18p per meal - now that's what I call frugal !

About Turmeric.  Some people think you can just chuck turmeric on everything willy-nilly to get the best out of it, well you can't.  In order to get the full nutritional benefit, it has to be mixed with ground black pepper and oil, any cooking oil will do.  The recommended mix is half and half, but I find this is too peppery for my taste, so I use two thirds turmeric and one third pepper.  This mix can be added to the pan when you are frying onions for soups, stews, etc., it can be mixed to a paste and added to omelettes, scrambled eggs and many other recipes.

Hope you give this a try, it's worth the effort.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe as I'm a turmeric and black pepper user too- didn't know about combining with olive oil as well though. I have started making yogurt and hope to try cottage cheese . Will research cream cheese too.I enjoy your blog and follow it on bloglovin. Ger in Ireland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ger - nice to have a follower from Ireland, the land of my ancestors !

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...