Monday, 25 January 2016

Wartime parsnip pudding ...

I posted a recipe for a delicious parsnip pie a short while ago.  If you didn't see it, it's here:

http://weansfrugalworld.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/frugal-pie-recipe-yummy.html

Anyway, I found a sweet parsnip dish that makes a great dessert.  I can't claim this recipe as my own, it's from a collection of wartime recipes, those gals could certainly show us frugalistas a thing or two!

It's quite basic and very easy to make:

Peel and chop your parsnips, quantity depends on how big you want your pudding to be.


There are no definate quantities here.  The eagle-eyed amongst you will notice this is the same picture I used for the parsnip pie !

Steam them and put aside to cool for a while.
Add butter, cinammon, nutmeg, sugar or honey, there wasn't much sugar around in the war years, but the sweetness of the parsnips more than made up for it.


Just heat  through in the oven until the top is golden, then enjoy.

I ate mine with natural yoghurt and some raspberries that I had frozen from the garden last year - definately moorish.


This is the basic recipe, but to make it more substantial, you could add a crumble topping, or pastry crust, or even put it inbetween two slices of bread and make a sweet toastie.

I'll be doing this again, cheap, healthy and quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...