Sunday, 6 March 2016

Non-Dairy milk alternative, healthy and cheap ...

On my road to going 'non-dairy', I've been trying out various types of non-dairy milks and would like to share them with you.  Today it's 'oat milk'.


This is amazingly cheap, it works out at approx 7p for over a litre - that's amazing.


I started off by soaking 4 cups of oat flakes in 4 cups of water.  By the way, this isn't American 'cup measurements' this is literally a cup or mug, any size because the ratio of oats to water will be the same.  Some recipes say soak for one hour but I left mine overnight.


Whizz it up, it does't take long and looks a lovely creamy white colour.


Strain it, as you can see this is just an ordinary kitchen strainer.


Because there's a lot of sediment, I strained it again through a nylon bag on stilts (I got his from Ebay for under £2), it's been very useful for straining all sorts of things.


You'll have the 'gunge' left over, don't throw this away it still contains some nutrition.  I made a vegetable curry the same day and put it in with the sauce and it thickened it up well.  You could put it in soups and stews as well.

So here is the finished product and I can tell you it's very 'drinkable', maybe needs a little sweetening for some tastes, or a little vanilla essence is nice.


Before using milks made from nuts, seeds, grains etc., shake them up well because no matter how much you strain them, there will always be a little sediment in the bottom of the bottle.





12 comments:

  1. This looks good enough to try myself, thankyou. So cheap too! Is it good in tea? Seems a funny question but I do love a cuppa :) - Tam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't use it in tea, this is more for using in cereals, milk puddings, and it makes a lovely egg custard.

      Delete
  2. That's interesting. How much does it taste like milk? With a little sugar would the kids notice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they would notice, after all it's not really 'milk' as we know it. I've drunk it neat with a little honey and vanilla essence.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this, I'll definitely try making my own 'milk' :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought some chocolate flavoured oat milk from S*burys and loved it. I may try making my own now. Thanks for this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think adding some flavouring is a good idea, I'll try that.

      Delete
  5. Great for vegans ,thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that's an amazing idea, I'm definitely going to try it, thanks for posting that! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wean hope you are okay Just a little worried as have not heard from you lately. Take care. Tricia (aka pattypan) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yashashree Food Product is fast growing dairy milk products manufacturing company in Pune area. All products are Frozen Dairy Milk Products and can be utilize up to 90 days. We are processing around 2500 Lit of Milk every day.


    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...